Monday, September 2, 2013

Worthy Words

A newly married friend recently asked me what advice I would give to have a happy marriage.  Because I am terrible at giving a quality response on the spot I gave a totally inadequate answer, and have been mulling it over ever since.
I told him something like this: "Expect rough times in marriage, that no one feels 100% in love all the time, but not to give up because of those feelings."  
What a dreary picture I painted of marriage!  I desperately need to amend that picture.  It does not represent how I feel about marriage at all.  I love my husband and treasure my marriage.
So, here is the advice I would give to those who are preparing for marriage or those newly married:

Don't let rough times shock you into doubting your love for one another.  You may not always feel that spark of 1st love, but that doesn't mean it has gone out.  Take the time and energy to rekindle that flame.  
Keep your focus on the good times you have had together, and remain confident that they will return.  Many will be even better because you have struggled together.  Your love will deepen and your bond grow stronger as you experience life together as one. 
Don't lose hope in the love God has given you for your spouse.  Don't focus on the differences you have or those things that annoy you about each other.  Look for the best in one another and you will find it.  Always fight for your marriage and for one another- it is so worth it!  

These are some of the things I have experienced and learned in the first 14 years of marriage, and I look forward to learning much more as Nathan and I continue to love each other and grow together for many years to come.


1 comment: