Friday, April 17, 2015

#shelfchallenge Day 2

Wow- I am really enjoying reading some poetry.  It is a genre that I have neglected for a long time!  Today I read some Maya Angelou- I didn't know that she had written an Inaugural poem to read at Bill Clinton's inauguration in 1993.  This could be a great close read- to infer some of the historical context as well as social issues during that time period.  Very cool!
I especially like the juxtaposition of these two sections:

"You, the Turk, the Arab, the Swede,
The German, the Eskimo, the Scot,
The Italian, the Hungarian, the Pole,
You the Ashanti, the Yoruba, the Kru, bought
Sold, stolen, arriving on a nightmare
Praying for a dream."
...............................................................

"Women, children, men,
Take it into the palms of your hands,
Mold it into the shape of your most
Private need.  Sculpt it into
The image of your most public self.
Lift up your hearts
Each new hour holds new chances
For a new beginning.
                                                                                    Do not be wedded forever
                                                                                    To fear, yoked eternally
                                                                                    To brutishness."

1 comment:

  1. Maya Angelou is my most favorite poet, and in my top 3 writers. She has been an inspiration to me for as long as I can remember and when she passed away, I was heartbroken to realize we'd never get to sit and have a conversation.

    ReplyDelete