Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Switch: A New Reading Experience

I have to admit, although I get excited about the information I want to learn from nonfiction books, I am not a lover of the process of reading nonfiction.  Given the choice between a great story and an information rich book, even on a topic of high interest, I am going to go for the story pretty much every time.
So, this first chapter of the book Switch: How to Change Things When Change is Hard was a wonderful surprise.  I have been excited to read this book to get the information, but now it is clear that I'm also going to enjoy the process of reading it, which means I might just get through my reading before it is due for our book discussion!
The clear message of a three step process, "To change behavior, you've got to direct the Rider, motivate the Elephant, and shape the Path" was delivered through a series of engaging stories and entertaining case studies (19).  The practical application for this three step process, which I originally thought would apply primarily in my professional life, will have far greater reach.  I can already see connections that I will make at home, through my youth ministry involvement, and in my own life.
So, what is the Rider, the Elephant, and the Path you may ask?  Well, the authors, Chip and Dan Heath, use clear illustrations for this analogy:


  • The Rider is our rational side, which provides the direction for any change we want to make. "What looks like resistance is often a lack of clarity" (17).
  • The Elephant is our emotions, and will provide the energy and motivation to make a change. "What looks like laziness is often exhaustion" (17).
  • The Path is the situation, or the circumstances surrounding the change.                              "What looks like a people problem is often a situation problem" (18).  
I invite you to read along with me as I find out more about how to change things when change is hard, and share any stories of how you are working through change in your own life.  Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment